Sunday, November 4, 2012

My Campus Event

I chose to use Global Friends Hour as my campus event! GFH is an organization that brings international and Baldwin Wallace students together to talk about international topics and culture. The meeting I went to had a guest speaker who talked about American politics and various topics relating to government. It was an open discussion the audience would raise their hands or just speak about how they felt about the issue. I enjoyed how it was a very open environment anyone could say anything and not be judged but challenged by new thoughts or ideas by others. It became sort of like a healthy debate amongst the group. I did not like how the speaker in my opinion took a clear political stand point and made his choice for president known. I thought it was disrespectful and one sided, I did not come to GFH to hear a speaker tell me about his feelings on the candidates. I showed me how diverse the BW community is. I felt like I was able to speak my mind and felt comfortable in the BW community. I would recommend this event to a friend. I would tell them to try it out and go to one meeting and see how they feel because it is very interesting and worth going to.

3 comments:

  1. I also went to the global friends hour and completely agree with you. I think everyone should attend these presentations

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's pretty dumb how he chose a side. A person who is giving a speech to a wide-range of people should really be impartial. It's a better way to understand everyone's viewpoint and not just your own.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was there too! :)
    I didn't really catch the one-sidedness though. I felt more like he was trying to make the entire political situation more real and give pros and cons to both sides.

    ReplyDelete